Our standard auger-driven transport system Ground Hopper provides reliable conveying of powders such as calcium carbonate blends, ATH blends, as well as granules and other fine particle or lightweight fillers. Most commonly, these are used to fill the filler metering hoppers used with our Autocaster™ continuous casting machine and Batchmaster metering machines - however, these can be used with other equipment and other applications as well.
- No overhead mountings
- Reduce powder waste from manual loading
- Conveys bulk powder and granules to an elevated position (typically a filler metering hopper or other processing equipment).
- Eliminate laborious manual bulk powder handling and tank filling
- Variety of optional controls available to automate operation
- Additional capacity can be added with an optional Bulk Bag Suspender Frame.
Generally used in conjunction with Gruber's Autocaster continuous casting machines or Batchmaster automated metering systems.
This standard base Powder/Granule Ground Hopper is most commonly used in conjunction with Gruber's Autocaster continuous casting system, and/or Batchmaster metering/batching machines to convey bulk powder or granules to an elevated height, where it is then discharged into another bin or used in some process. When used with these Gruber machines, its function is continuously fill the smaller Filler Metering Hoppers located atop our machines to provide greatly extended production run times for our equipment.
This Standard Ground Hopper does not natively include built-in controls that allow for on/off and speed control - since it is controlled by our Autocaster and/or Batchmaster. When not used with an Autocaster or Batchmaster, you can either have its operation controlled by any third-party equipment, or you can add optional controls to the Ground Hopper. See Ground Hopper Options below, or contact Gruber Systems for more information.
When controlled with Gruber's Autocaster and Batchmaster machines, the Ground Hopper include a sensor that when the material level runs low, a signal is sent that turns on the Ground Hopper, which begins filling the metering hoppers atop the Autocaster or Batchmaster machines, Once the high sensor indicates the metering hopper is once again full, it suspends delivery flow from the Ground Hopper until the next signal is given.
This system does not include self-metering features that may be required of some batching applications. For standalone use, or where either precise metering is required, please view our Weight Loss Self-Metering Ground Hopper.
The Ground Hopper's function is to convey powder or granules up to an elevated height, where it is discharged into another bin or machine for additional processing or use. When used with Gruber's Autocaster or Batchmaster machines, that ideal discharge height is approximately 10 feet. For your application, the your ideal discharge height may be different, or the standard 45 degree angle of incline may not be ideal. Gruber can customize the auger length and incline angle to suit your requirements if needed. Call if you need a custom configuration.
In addition to the 15 cubic feet of additional capacity, you can futher extend your production capabity by adding a Bulk Bag Suspender Frame to each Ground Hopper. The Bulk Bag Suspender Frame is placed on top of the Ground Hopper, where an additional bulk bag/super sack can be suspended above the Ground Hopper to provide an additional volume of filler to be incrementally added to the Ground Hopper as the Ground Hopper fillers are used during production. Together, both units provide for greatly expanded production run time between bulk filler reloading, and the added capacity reduces labor cost, improved production efficiencies, reduce material wastage, significantly reduced labor savings, or greatly extended productivity and production output.
- Controlled by Autocaster (or Batchmaster) via umbilical connection
- Stationary ground placement, with optional mobile version or mobile retrofit available. No overhead mountings.
- Large, rugged 15 cubic foot (0.42 cubic meter) bin with heavy-duty 12-gauge steel construction
- Dimensions 57.5” x 42.5” x 45” (146 x 108 x 114cm) (LWH) excluding auger
- Transport auger constructed from carbon steel, standard 4" (101mm) pitch (i.e. pitch = distance between flights); choice of 45 degree (standard configuration) or optional 60 degree incline. Custom auger configurations and lengths available upon request.
- Powerful 230/460V, 3-phase motor options in 60 or 50Hz configurations (specify desired electrical power when ordering)
- 50 lb (23 kg) per minute output capability (calcium carbonate or equivalent volumes) depending on specific gravity of filler material. Higher output options available if needed.
- 2-way forklift entries for convenient positioning
- Sealed dust tight drive and idler bearings with standard transmission ratio of 20:1 (other ratios available)
- Pneumatic vibrator included for anti-bridging control
- Includes screen for reducing introduction of bag scraps and other debris from reaching auger
- Includes chain clamps for securing Bulk Bag Suspender to Ground Hopper
- Heavy-duty low-maintenance gear drive mechanism for easy access
- Volumetric metering with +/- 2% accuracy. Weight Loss options available for more precise metering.
- Optional controls, presets, and alarms
- Mobile version available with wheels - or upgrade the stationary standard ground hopper with upgrade kit.
Discharge Height Comparison for two models (in Inches)
Order Information: Standard Powder/Granule Ground Hoppers
- Standard (Powder) Ground Hopper for Autocaster and other applications - #1000AGH
- Standard (Powder) Ground Hopper for use with Gruber's Batchmaster Automated Metering System - #150445B
Ground Hopper Options
Options for increasing the capacity and production run times for your system include these upgrades or accessories: Bulk Bag Suspender Frame, Pneumatic Powder Pump Ground Hoppers, Bulk Bag Gantries, and other items. Review all Bulk Filler Handling related products here.
Add a Bulk Bag Suspender Frame to your Ground Hopper!
Ground Hoppers can accommodate either bulk bags (super sacks) or individual bags of filler, as well as other granular substances for even greater efficiency. A recommended option is the Bulk Bag Suspender Frame, which sits atop the Ground Hopper. A Bulk Bag/Supersack is lifted up where the corners of the bag are hung on the four heavy-duty hooks built into the Bulk Bag Suspender Frame, and the bag is suspended above the Ground Hopper - where filler is gravity-drained down into the Ground Hopper as the hopper empties, thus adding to the capacity and length of time you can run a production run. With the Bulk Bag Suspender, you can even keep the filler supply feeding the casting system continously by loading a new Bulk Bag into the Suspender Frame each time it empties, but when you still have powder in the Ground Hopper. End frequent stops by keeping your bulk fillers continuously supplied with a Gruber Ground Hopper and Bulk Bag Suspender Frame.
- Bulk Bag Suspender Frame, Complete, Crated - #150160
Easily move your Ground Hopper with this mobile upgrade
A mobile upgrade is offered for all Gruber Ground Hoppers that allows you to move your Ground Hopper to where you need it. You can purchase the mobile upgrade as an option to upgrade your existing Ground Hopper, or purchase a complete mobile version Ground Hopper to begin with.
- Buy a Ground Hopper with built-in mobile capability
- Buy a Mobile Upgrade Kit to convert your existing Ground Hopper to a mobile Ground Hopper - #1000CA
Look at Pneumatically driven Ground Hoppers:
Ground Hoppers can be purchased or upgraded to use pneumatic pressure to transport lightweight fillers from one location to another location. Free up critical space near your casting or batching machine by moving your Ground Hopper to a less space intensive location and using pneumatic powder pump to transport lightweight filler over greater distances.
Note: Please refer to Pneumatic-Transport Powder Ground Hoppers for more details.
Controls for other applications:
When not used with an Autocaster or Batchmaster, you can either have its operation controlled by any third-party equipment, or you can add optional controls to the Ground Hopper. Contact Gruber Systems for more information.